Corporate Services and
Economic Development Committee
Comité des services organisationnels
et du développement économique
Suite à donner 44
Tuesday, 2 June 2009, 10:00 a.m.
le mardi 2 juin 2009, 10 h 00
Notes: 1. Underlining indicates a new or amended recommendation approved by Committee.
2. Reports requiring Council consideration will be presented to Council on 10 June 2009 in Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee Report 43.
Nota : 1. Le soulignement indique qu'il s'agit d'une nouvelle recommandation ou d'une recommandation modifiée approuvée par le Comité.
2. Les rapports nécessitant un examen par le Conseil municipal devront être présentés au Conseil le 10 juin 2009 dans le rapport no 43 du Comité des services organisationnels et du développement économique.
CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES
RATIFICATION DU PROCÈS-VERBAUX
Minutes 43 and Confidential Minutes 23 of Tuesday, 19 May 2009
CITY MANAGER’S OFFICE
BUREAU DU DIRECTEUR MUNICIPAL
CITY TREASURER AND FINANCE
TRÉSORERIE ET FINANCES DE LA VILLE
1. 2010 Proposed Budget Timetable and Process
PROCESSUS ET CALENDRIER BUDGÉTAIRE PROPOSÉS POUR 2010
1. That the Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee consider this report at its 2 June 2009 meeting and then forward it to Council for its consideration and approval on 10 June 2009; and
2. That the process and timetable for developing and approving the 2010 draft tax-supported budget be adopted as detailed in this report and as amended by the following, subject to the creation of a new Standing Committee to deal with Audit and Finance issues as part of the upcoming governance review;
a) That the budget timetable, as proposed by staff, be amended to begin the Budget deliberations during the week of January 25 to 29.
CARRIED as amended
REAL ESTATE PARTNERSHIPS AND DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
BUREAU DES PARTENAIRES IMMOBILIERS ET DU DÉVELOPPEMENT
2. Petrie Island ACQUISITION STRATEGY
stratégie d’acquisition de l’île petrie
That the Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee recommend Council approve the acquisition of two vacant properties located on Petrie Island based on the principles as outlined in this report.
3. DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY - ACQUISITION, DISPOSAL AND LEASE OF LAND AND PROPERTY - 1 July TO 31 December 2008
DÉLÉGATION DE POUVOIRS – ACQUISITION ET CESSION DE TERRAINS ET DE PROPRIÉTÉS – DU 1ER Juillet AU 31 Décembre 2008
That the Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee receive this report for information.
ARTICLES DES CONSEILLERS
COUNCILLOR/ CONSEILLER ALEX CULLEN
UTILISATION D'INSTALLATIONS MUNICIPALES POUR LES EXPOSITIONS DE MATÉRIEL MILITAIRE
Whereas on April 19, 1989, the former City of Ottawa passed a Motion 11 to 1 resolving that Lansdowne Park and other city facilities not be leased to any future arms exhibitions;
And Whereas for the first time in 20 years a Canadian exhibition of military hardware and technology, called CANSEC 2009, took place at Lansdowne Park from 27-28 May;
and Whereas the arms trade has little or no consideration of moral or humanitarian issues in that weapons can and have been used against civilians; and
and Whereas exports of Canadian military equipment and components end up in countries which persistently violate human rights;
and Whereas the international arms trade serves to increase militarization throughout the world and is inconsistent with arms limitations efforts;
and Whereas Lansdowne Park is a publicly supported recreation and trade show facility;
and Whereas, when Lansdowne Park was purchased by the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton, according to City Legal Services, the 1989 Council motion no longer applied to Lansdowne Park;
Therefore be it resolved that the City of Ottawa's 1989 Motion be applied to Lansdowne Park and all other city facilities, so that they not be leased to CANSEC or other such military exhibitions; and
Be It Further Resolved that the City of Ottawa call upon the Province of Ontario and the Government of Canada to pass similar Motions to prevent the leasing of their facilities to such military trade shows.
5. REFORMING OTTAWA'S MUNICIPAL ELECTION FINANCES
RÉFORME DU FINANCEMENT DES ÉLECTIONS MUNICIPALES À OTTAWA
That this item be referred to Council without a Committee recommendation.
That the Corporate Services & Economic Development Committee recommend to City Council:
1. That the City of Ottawa request the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing to enact legislation amending the Municipal Elections Act to permit municipalities to prohibit corporate and trade union contributions to candidates for municipal councils, to be effective for the next municipal elections;
2. That upon enabling legislation, City Council consider enacting a bylaw to prohibit corporate and union contributions to municipal candidates for Ottawa City Council, to take effect for the next municipal election;
3. That the City of Ottawa request the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing to provide enabling legislation to permit municipalities to require that campaign surpluses accrued by municipal candidates be paid to the municipality at the end of the election period, to help defray the costs of the municipal election; and
4. That the City of Ottawa request the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing to provide enabling legislation to permit municipalities to pass bylaws requiring municipal candidates to file a preliminary list of campaign contributions received with the City Clerk on Nomination Day (i.e. one month before Election Day).
MOTIONS OF WHICH NOTICE HAS BEEN GIVEN PREVIOUSLY
MOTIONS DONT AVIS A ÉTÉ DONNÉ ANTÉRIEUREMENT
COUNCILLOR P. HUME
6. BEECHWOOD CEMETARY – REIMBURSEMENT OF FEES
CIMETIÈRE BEECHWOOD – REMBOURSEMENT DES DROITS
That the Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee recommend Council approve, as an indication of its strong support for this national institution, the reimbursement of fees and charges totalling $111,693.29, as follows:
From 2009 Planning operating budget revenue account - $ 19,207.51;
From Water Capital Reserve Fund - $ 6,100.00; and
From City-Wide Capital Reserve (Building permit fees & DC’s) - $86,385.75.
CARRIED as amended
DIRECTION TO STAFF:
That staff be directed to develop a policy and process for responding to these requests, including the criteria for a request to qualify, upset limit for refunds and source of funding, and to report back to Committee in September 2009.
INFORMATION PREVIOUSLY DISTRIBUTED
INFORMATION DISTRIBUÉE AUPARAVANT
A. Capital Funding Support for Long Term Care Facilities
Soutien du financement des immobilisations pour les installations de soins de longue durée
B. Update – Mitel Donation of VOIP equipment
Mise à jour - Don par Mitel d'équipement de Voix sur IP