That the Ottawa Built Heritage Advisory Committee recommend that Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee recommend that Council:
1. Approve the application to alter 3856 Loggers Way, in accordance with plans submitted by Richard White, Richard White Architect as received on October 4, 2010.
2. Delegate authority for minor design changes to the General Manager of the Planning and Growth Management Department.
3. Issue the heritage permit with a two-year expiry date from the date of issuance.
(Note: The statutory 90-day timeline for consideration of this application under the Ontario Heritage Act will expire on January 2, 2011.)
(Note: Approval to Alter this property under the Ontario Heritage Act must not be construed to meet the requirements for the issuance of a building permit.)
RECOMMANDATIONS DU RAPPORT
Que le Comité consultatif sur le patrimoine bâti d’Ottawa recommande au Comité de l’agriculture et des affaires rurales de recommander à son tour au Conseil :
(Nota : Le délai réglementaire de 90 jours d’examen de cette demande, exigé en vertu de la Loi sur le patrimoine de l’Ontario, prendra fin le 2 janvier 2011.)
Nota : L’approbation de la demande de modification aux termes de la Loi sur le patrimoine de l’Ontario ne signifie pas pour autant qu’elle satisfait aux conditions de délivrance d’un permis de construire.)
The Savery House, 3856 Loggers Way is a one-and-a-half storey, stone farmhouse with a central gable located in West Carleton and designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (see Document 1). The house is located on a large agricultural property along the Carp River. This report has been prepared because alterations to buildings designated under the Ontario Heritage Act require the approval of City Council. The applicant wishes to add an extension to their home at the rear, raise the existing roof slightly to solve an ice-damming problem and demolish an existing shed on the property.
The Savery House, 3856 Loggers Way is cited as one of the earliest farmhouses in the Village of Kinburn, built circa 1833. A typical one-storey addition (likely for a kitchen) was added to the east side of the building sometime in the 19th century. The house is an example of a typical 19th century farmhouse and is associated with Captain John Fraser, a veteran of the war of 1812 and a local Member of Parliament. The house was designated in 2000 by the former municipality of West Carleton. Photos of the property are included as Document 2 and the Statement of Cultural Heritage Value is attached as Document 3.
Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada
The Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada was adopted by City Council in 2008 as the municipal standard for heritage conservation in Ottawa. The following Guidelines are applicable to this project:
The main alteration to this building is an addition located perpendicular to the rear of the house. The addition will consist of a music room, workshop, master bedroom suite and a garage at the rear. The addition is set in at the corners so as not to obscure views of the existing house from the front and to maintain the distinctive stone quoins on the corners of the house.
The addition is articulated in three distinct sections. The first section, approximately 6.4 metres in height, will connect to the historic house and will house a mudroom and storage space, and features a gable roof oriented perpendicular to the historic building. This section will be narrow and will serve as a transition to the larger volume of the second section. The second section is the largest, and is oriented parallel to the existing house with similar form, massing and scale. It will be 7.3 metres in height, slightly lower than the existing house at 7.6 metres. This section will include a music room and workshop on the ground floor and a master bedroom suite on the second floor. The third section is a one-storey garage that is again set in from the corners of the second section. The garage will replace an existing dilapidated shed on the property. Elevations and site plan are shown in Document 4. A Cultural Heritage Impact Statement, prepared by the architect, Richard White is included as Document 5.
The materials for the addition have been carefully considered. The exterior cladding will be a wooden board and batten style siding, and the foundation will be clad with a limestone veneer to reflect the stone in the original building. All trim, fascias and soffits will be wooden. The windows will be single hung sash windows, and a new standing seam metal roof will be used for the entire building.
The architect has made significant efforts to minimize the impact of the addition on the Savery House. From the front, the addition will be unobtrusive especially from the east side where the summer kitchen already exists. As designed, the addition complements the historic Savery House in its scale and form and will provide an appropriate transition from old to new through the distinct sections of the addition. The design incorporates sympathetic materials such as wood and stone but elements like the board and batten siding will distinguish the new addition from the original building. Overall, the addition will be sympathetic, subordinate and distinguishable from the original building.
A second aspect of this application involves raising the roof by approximately 15 centimetres. The house has had significant ice-damming problems and the applicant intends to apply a new roofing system over the sheathing of the existing house to create a cavity for insulation. In order to accommodate this, the existing fascia and returned eaves will be retained and a second fascia board added and to maintain the relationship of the height of the chimney to the roof ridge, a 15‑centimetre limestone cap will be added to both chimneys. The Department supports this alteration as a reasonable solution to an ongoing problem and will retain as much original material as possible.
The Department supports the application overall as the application meets the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada and for the reasons cited above.
Occasionally, minor changes to a building emerge during the working drawing phase. This recommendation is included to allow the Planning and Growth Management Department to approve these changes.
The Ontario Heritage Act does not provide any timelines for the expiry of heritage permits. A two-year expiry date is recommended to ensure that projects are completed in a timely fashion and according to the approved heritage permit.
Heritage Ottawa is aware of the application.
Neighbours close to the property were notified and offered the opportunity to make written or oral submissions.
Councillor El-Chantiry is aware of the application.
F2: Respect the existing urban fabric, neighbourhood form, and limits of existing hard surfaces, so that new growth is integrated seamlessly with established communities.
This application was completed within the 90-day time period prescribed by the Ontario Heritage Act.
Document 1 Location Map
Document 2 Current Conditions
Document 3 Statement of Cultural Heritage Value
Document 4 Site Plan and Elevations
Document 5 Cultural Heritage Impact Statement
City Clerk and Solicitor Department, Legislative Services to notify the property owner and the Ontario Heritage Trust (10 Adelaide Street East, 3rd Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M5C 1J3) of Council’s decision.
Schedule “B” of Bylaw 106 of 2000
Reason for Proposed Designation:
1. This limestone house is one of the first, if not the first stone home built in Fitzroy Township (geographic) and West Carleton in 1833.
2. The house was on the earliest, if not the first in the Village of Kinburn- was built by Captain Thomas Fraser on Lot 11, Concession VII, Fitzroy.
3. Captain Thomas Fraser, a United Empire Loyalist, received 800 acres (including Lot 11, Concession VII) for his service during the War of 1812-1814. Fraser was sheriff of the District of Johnstown for some time and became a Member of Parliament for the District.
4. Captains Fraser’s son Allan- also a Captain for the No. 2 Company of the Carleton Blazers, trained these militia at a Kinburn drill shed on Fraser’s farm for action in the Fenian raids of 1866.
5. Captain Thomas Fraser and his settlement beside the Carp River in Kinburn is recorded in historical books- “Carleton Saga”, “Belden’s Atlas 1879” and Fitzroy’s “Beyond our Memory.”
1. This limestone farmhouse, built in the Georgian style of that period, with large centre gable window and wide front door with sidelights is virtually unchanged since 1833.
2. Original soffits, windows with storms are in good condition. A stone summer kitchen attached is virtually the same on exterior as when house built.
3. Present owner has replaced two window sills (originally wood) with matching limestone stills, as are rest of the windows.
4. Present owner takes care to maintain architectural integrity in any exterior repairs carried out.
Sept. 16, 2010
City of Ottawa
Department of Planning and Growth Management
110 Laurier Ave. West
Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 1
Attention: Lesley Collins, Heritage Planner
RE: Cultural Heritage Impact Statement
3856 Logger’s Way, Kinburn, ON
Dear Ms. Collins,
Our client, Sandra and Christopher Van Barr purchased 3856 Logger’s Way in 2002, and have been using it as their primary residence since that date. They now have three children and require additional space for their family.
The existing residence was originally constructed in 1833 as a single-family farmhouse. It is a two-storey structure constructed with load-bearing limestone walls. A single-storey addition was added on the east side, and the detailing suggests that it was built soon after the original. The original house was built in the Georgian style of that period. An entrance door with sidelights and transom with large centre gable window above define the front of the house, and it faces south towards the Carp River approximately 27 meters away. Access to the house is over a private bridge crossing the Carp River to the southwest.
The existing house has a gross floor area of 259.6 M2. The planned addition includes a two-storey addition to the house of 164 M2 and a one-storey garage of 68.8 M2. The addition joins the existing house on the north façade, thereby leaving the front of the house largely unchanged. One new window is proposed in the east façade of the original house.
It is proposed that new roof system be applied over the sheathing of the existing house (not the summer kitchen), mainly for the purpose of creating sufficient cavity for adequate insulation above the sloped ceiling section of the house and above the ceiling over the entrance/stairwell part of the addition. The existing cornice detail would remain with the addition of a 2nd fascia above and slightly proud of the existing 4" high board. A 6” high limestone cap would be added to the top of two chimneys so as to maintain the height relationship to the roof ridge.
The addition is proposed at the back of the house; in the location a summer kitchen would typically have been constructed. It is intentionally narrow where it joins the original house, stepping back so that the corners of the original house are not visibly obscured. The addition is articulated as a number of discreet forms, each of which is subordinate in scale and height to the original 1830 house. The roofs of the addition have roof pitches and eave depths that are similar to the original house, providing a consistency of form.
Materials and details for the addition have been carefully considered. For the walls, natural materials are proposed, including: a plinth of limestone (veneer); board & (beveled) batten wood siding; drip cap, wood plinth, wood frieze trims; trim & board fascias. Operable windows will be single-hung. Pre-painted (blue) steel roofing (with exposed fasteners) was installed prior to designation in 2000 – probably in the 1990s. A hidden fastener, pre-manufactured standing-seam type roofing is planned for the entire building – a pattern similar to the tin-plated standing seam roofs available circa 1800.
In conclusion, the proposed addition has been designed to complement the heritage architecture of the existing house. The forms, massing and materials were designed to be sympathetic and compatible with those of the existing house. At the same time, the intent is to establish the integrity of addition - distinguishable and subordinate to the existing house.